Committee Person Job Description
A committee person is his or her political party’s representative in each voting precinct. Committee people serve as a point of contact between the voters in the precinct and their political party. Locally the Democratic Party is organized as The Democratic Committee of Lower Merion and Narberth (DCLMN). As an elected position, to be a Committee Person you gather signatures on a petition to get on the ballot during the Primary Election of a year when the Governor is up for election. If there is an opening for Committee Person in between those elections, the Chair of the party can appoint to fill the vacancy.
Committee people have core responsibilities to help “get out the vote” and work outside the polls on Election Day. But you can make the job as big or as small as you want. Some committee people just choose to work on Election Day. But most committee people are in touch with their party and their neighbors all year long. You need only have the time and interest to build relationships with their neighbors and keep up with Committee meetings and tasks to make this job meaningful and rewarding.
Year-round responsibilities could include, but are not limited to:
• Attending meetings of the DCLMN (10 per year)
• Assisting with voter registration drives in your neighborhood.
• Circulating nomination petitions for your party’s candidates.
• Giving voters information about an upcoming election so they know where to vote and who is on the ballot.
• Distributing absentee and mail-in ballot applications before an election.
On Election Day:
• Getting out the vote. By using lists of registered voters in your division, you can help make sure that as many people as possible come out to vote.
• Handing out campaign literature at your polling place.
• Arranging rides to the polls for voters who are unable to walk or drive themselves.
• Reporting improper behavior or point out weaknesses in the security of the election process to the appropriate authorities.
In Lower Merion and Narberth, two committee people are assigned to each precinct, so these responsibilities may be shared.
For more information, or to enquire about committee person vacancies, contact: Jonathan Shapiro